Summary Background: Mr. Harr entered military service as a directly commissioned officer in September, 1989. He was selected for command of the 4th Medical Battalion and assumed that position in December, 2009. He held command until January 2011. Following promotion to the rank of Rear Admiral, Dec. 4, 2010, He served as The Medical Officer of the Marine Corps, Reserve Component, and the Deputy Director of the Medical Corps, Reserve Component. His civilian duties include the practice of adult cardiac and thoracic surgery in Charlotte, N.C. He is the director of Thoracic Surgery Education in the Department of General Surgery at Carolinas Medical Center where he is actively involved in the training of general surgery residents. He is board-certified by the American Board of Surgery and the American Board of Thoracic Surgery.
Specialties: Military health, health policy, cardiac and thoracic surgery, training of general surgery residents
Select Previous Experience:
- Officer in charge of Headquarters and Service Company, Detach 12, in Charlotte, NC
- Chief of Professional Services for Surgical Company Bravo, 4th Medical Battalion
- Group Surgeon for the 4th Marine Logistics Group, serving as special staff to the Commanding General of the 4th Marine Logistics Group
- Command of the 4th Medical Battalion
- East Tennessee State University, B.S.
- Wake Forest University School of Medicine, M.D.